In the modern interior candlesticks and candelabra are increasingly used for decor, and not for their intended purpose - lighting the room. They will become a real decoration of any room, give romantic and elegance.
- The history of candelabra
- Kinds of candelabra
- Candelabra in the interior - how to choose
The history of candelabra
Candelabras are known to mankind since ancient times. They appeared, most likely, at the same time when they appeared candles. The most widespread as a refined piece of interior candelabra were in the Middle Ages. During the Renaissance, candelabra began to have a much richer decor - their shaft was decorated with ornaments, leaves and even miniature figures. The most frequently used bronze candelabra. In the 16th century, candlesticks were mostly made of silver and tin.
In the 18th century, iron candlesticks became more popular, especially in the Rococo style. Such candle stands were used to illuminate ballrooms. Later in the 19th century cast iron replaced cast iron. The bedrooms were often porcelain model.
Kinds of candelabra
The most common types of candlesticks are designed for two or three candles - they are called dikiri and trikiry. Also there are candelabra and more candles. If they are used for lighting dining table, it is better to use low models so that guests can see each other. Select wall candlesticks and table (chimney candelabra), depending on where they are installed. Wall candlesticks are used today extremely rarely, since they can leave traces of soot on wallpaper or paint.
The main difference between all candelabras is the style of design and material for their manufacture. The following types of materials are most often used:
- Metal. Antique candlesticks or made under the antiquity are most often made of metal. For their creation use bronze, silver, brass, tin and various alloys. For such candlesticks should be carefully looked after. Forged steel items can be washed from dust with warm water with a detergent, bronze is well cleaned with toothpaste or powder, silver should be washed with soapy water with ammonia. Also there is a special cosmetics for jewelry, which is perfect for cleaning candelabra.
- Glass and crystal. Such items are more solemn. Especially effective look candlesticks from crystal at serving a festive table crystal dishes. Wash them should be in a little warm water and wipe with a soft rag with ammonia. Then candle holders will sparkle especially brightly. Candlesticks from glass are often colored, they are suitable for almost any interior.
- Ceramic and porcelain. Used in simpler interiors, often chandeliers made of porcelain or ceramics have a beautiful pattern, in Russia the most common ornament is gzhel. For porcelain you need to look very carefully, wash in cool water and wipe dry. Ceramic holders for candles are less whimsical, they can be wiped with a rag or washed in a dishwasher.
Candelabra in the interior - how to choose
A beautiful candelabra will decorate the interior even if there is no candle in it. Choosing a candlestick is based on the general style of the room. So, to classic interior a bronze model is perfect. In a room in style baroque it will be appropriate to look at the candlestick with figures of people or animals, convex plant elements. In the interior in style Art Deco or Empire is perfect for crystal candle stands. Ceramic candelabra will fit in the interior in the style of country or Provence, and Gzhel is suitable for Russian country.
Lush interiors made in the style of a boho, can be supplemented with rich candlesticks and chandeliers made of glass or mirror elements, they can also be complemented by velvet, fringe or crystal pendants. Multicolored glass candle holders can support any of the primary colors of the interior. Laconic design and bright colors perfectly fit modern premises. The most important advice from designers when choosing a candelabra is not to encumber the interior with small parts, it is better to purchase one large chandelier for a mantelpiece than a few small ones. Large parts help to place accents, small ones can make the interior cluttered.